Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The night before my treatments start, what am I doing?

Besides the fact that is has been a stupid couple of weeks with work, moving, car issues and the always underlying medical stuff, tonight is kind of a strangely quiet night.  The friend I'm staying with just left for a vacation and I spent most of the day working.  When I got home, I had to get a couple of things done around my new room.  I still have boxes packed and stacked in all the corners and at the foot of the bed.  I had to pack quick, but I've been kind of lazy about unpacking.  A little at a time, I'll get there.  But what I did do tonight is get the water proof mattress cover on the bed.  One of the side effects of the meds I'll be on is uncontrollable or "killer" diarrhea.  Sounds like a whole lot of fun right?  I wouldn't have even considered getting a mattress cover, but when I was diagnosed the first time, a former co-worker of mine was also diagnosed.  She went in after hearing about my diagnosis, and found out that she had extensive places that her cancer had already spread. In the process of her treatment, she had an accident, and ruined a bed without her knowledge.  It wasn't until she woke up after rolling into something wet and gross that she realized what happened.  So yeah, one of the first things I did was get the 10 dollar mattress cover.  Seemed like a wise investment, even if I'm hoping like hell I don't need to ever use it.

Besides getting the mattress situated, I have a table of electronics charging.  I have my phone, a kindle, an iPad, an android tablet and an iPod getting ready to go, as well as some portable chargers.  Check in tomorrow is 11:40 at the lab.  My infusion is expected to start around 2:00 sometime, assuming that my oncologist appointment runs on time.  I also have at least 2 hours in the infusion lab, so I don't expect to get back on the road home until close to 5:00.  That's just a long time to try and keep myself entertained.  I have the new JR Ward book to jump into though, so that will keep my attention for a while at least.  I've been saving it just for my first treatment day.

I also have my chemo bag mostly packed.  I downsized from my last batch of treatments.  Figured out things I need and don't really need.  So now I have a prayer shawl that was crocheted by my friend's late mother, my chemo cap, which is really just a hand knitted winter cap based off of one that is worn by Jayne on the now cancelled Firefly.  Loved the show and wanted a fun hat to wear since my treatment last time was in the winter.  I also have a bunch of different things to suck on if I get the dreaded metallic taste in my mouth while hooked up to the meds or when they are flushing me out.  Mints, Luden's Cherry cough drops, Life Savers...  There's a bag of unscented lotion and a coconut milk EOS as well.  Oh, and my electronics pouch, which will hold the portable chargers and have extra cords and stuff.  I also have my baby Dumbo stuffie sitting on top.  I also have some healthy trail mix (no chocolate) and some fruit snacks and some extra meds (Motrin 800's, Xanax & Omeprazole) to take right before everything starts up.  I used to carry a water bottle, but Karmanos always has water and juice available for their patients.  The usually have some graham crackers and little things like that as well, in case of emergency.  I'm sure that things will change in my bag as I figure out how long infusions will really take and what I prefer to do during them.  Last time around, I slept.  And by slept, I mean I usually didn't even hear the nurses come in and out of my cube.  Ear buds in and I was out cold.  I guess I'll feel really silly if that happens tomorrow and I prepared all the stuff I'm taking to try and make it fun.   Well, I'd rather be over prepared then not at all I suppose. 

So I think I'm ready.  Just need to get through tomorrow.  Then I'll have a better idea of what to expect and that is all I've been waiting on.  The not knowing is what drives you nuts.  And I'm already half way there, no need to be pushed any further over the edge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment